Coaching

Coaching

Saturday, January 15, 2011

It's 2:00 am... do you know where your Charizard is?

It's 2:00 am.  Apparently, as one creeps towards "middle age" (and the dreaded FOUR-OH) sleep can be a somewhat elusive creature.  So, on those nights where one regrets drinking caffeinated beverages after the hour of 5:00 pm, I find myself here at the computer with a brain full of thoughts.

The pensée du moment (my mother would be proud) is that of my son.  I had one of "those" moments tonight.  My son was talking to me about his favorite passion; Pokemon video games.  All I know about them, is apparently you have to catch them all, or something bad will happen... As I was typing on my computer, I was doing the usual "uh-huh" and "oh really" responses as he was sharing that his recently aquired "Charizard Pokemon eventually will evolve into Charmeleon" (thanks James Logan). Then I stopped.  And I looked at him.  He continued to talk, not noticing a change in my disposition.  I just studied him.  Watching his facial expressions, his body language, how he reminds me of his mother every time I look at him.  And I realized, how BLESSED I am to be a father.  To have a healthy son, who wants to share his passion with me, even if I don't understand a word of what he is saying, because he loves me.  And oh, how I love him as well.  As I look closer, I realize he is not the 3 year old toddler, or  a 6 year old kindergartner anymore, but a 10 year old young man who, for just a few more years, I will be able help mold and shape into the man he will become.  As parents, there is such a small window where we truly get to impact our children, before peers and other outside influences take over.  And I don't want to miss that.


Facebook can wait.  So can watching Mythbusters or even writing a blog.  The superficial things that we as parents so easily get caught up into, which distract us from truly engaging in heart felt conversations with our kids, need to be regulated into the place where they belong.  And while I won't be going out to research which "rare candy will help level up Pichu", I sure am going to treasure the moments and passions that he chooses to share with me.  Because before I know it, the things that he will be chasing won't be harmless video game creatures, but things that can cause much more impact on his life.  And if I want to be able to speak into his life then, I sure need to listen to his life now.



2 comments:

Stephen Otis said...

This is good stuff, Tom. I can see your boy now, in my mind's eye, handing his talk to you like roller coaster mates. I am encouraged to hear about your experience as a dad, if ever I am to be one, this is a lesson to remember. A reminder to put down the distractions and listen. Thanks, bro. It's been good meeting again this way, through our experiences, or, through writing of them. In whatever limited way it is...I'll take it!

mom G said...

Good stuff, son. I am proud of you--for so many reasons. Parenting is the hardest job you will ever have...and also the most rewarding.
Love you.
Mom G