Coaching

Coaching

Friday, January 28, 2011

My Isuzu lives better than 640,000,000 people on this Earth.

I often complain about what I don't have; whether I do it out loud or quietly inside my head. Working at a private school, I am surrounded by wealth. I see some people's cars whose price tag is more than my mortgage. I see commercials on TV that advertise 80 inch flat screen TV's, all the while squinting at my tiny set that actually still uses a picture tube and weighs more than most large appliances. It is so easy to be dissatisfied.

Then my pastor gave me a statistic that put things into perspective. 640,000,000 people on this Earth live without adequate shelter. He said, "most of your CARS have better houses than over half of a billion people". And he is right! i have a two car garage. It has doors, windows, and it is even heated and cooled in the summer. It stays dry in the rain, and keeps out bugs and animals (though we do get those creepy cave cricket things, but fortunately, my cat is a good hunter).

He also said that some in the audience might not be able to even park their cars in their garage because they had too much stuff packed into them. How true this is. And how sad.

We are a people of excess. We usually have two of everything (cars, refrigerators, freezers, MULTIPLE tv's, etc) yet 80% OF PEOPLE ON THIS EARTH LIVE ON LESS THAN $10 A DAY!

It's called perspective, people. And I need a good dose of it. I am blessed beyond most humans dreams.

1 comment:

Cathy D. said...

Great post, Tom. I agree completely!